Miner's Advice Home Page!





Back to Mining 2000
Please Sign Our GuestbookOur View - Alternative NewsHatfield Main NUM Office and Advice CentreMiner's Advice Reviews

 

Point of Ayr

Point of Ayr Colliery was at Fynnongroew in North Wales. It was situated on reclaimed land on the Dee estuary. Both shafts were within yards of the sea.


Sunk in 1873 then abandoned and reopened in 1883.
Taken over by the N.C.B in 1947, a third shaft was added topped with a concrete headgear. The original shafts were then both used as upcasts.
A drift was added in the early 80's and all the coal came to surface via conveyor in the drift.
The workings extended out under the sea.
A steam winder from the site built by Worsley Mesnes in 1924 has been taken to Bersham Colliery Wrexham and will be rebuilt on that site as an exhibit at a later date.
Taken over by R.J.B. Mining after privatisation the pit continued in production until closure in 1997.
The site was then demolished. The top of the one headgear was cut of to form a memorial in a local town and the two 13ft sheaves of the other and bearings were aquired by the Shropshire Mines Trust for use in the future.
The concrete No.3 headgear was demolished by explosives.
Above:
No. 3 headgear, 1974 - Copyright Keith P Povah

 

and right:
Another view of the No.3 headgear from Stuart Tomlins


Images and text on this page were provided by Stuart Tomlins
Photographs, unless otherwise stated, remain Copyright Stuart Tomlins

 

 

Abertysswg - Bargoed - Bersham - Big Pit - Britannia - Celynen - Cwmtillery - Deep Navigation
Elliots - Ferndale - Groesfaen - Llanbradach - Mardy - Marine - Markham - Nantgarw - Navigation - Oakdale - Ogilvie - Old Pit - Penalta - Pochin - Point of Ayr - Rhymney Merthyr
Senghenydd
- Six Bells - Taff Merthyr - Tower - Wyllie