Miner's Advice Home Page!





Back to Mining 2000
Please Sign Our GuestbookOur View - Alternative NewsHatfield Main NUM Office and Advice CentreMiner's Advice Reviews

Bersham Colliery

Bersham was sunk in 1867 and was known first as Glanrafon Colliery. It is situated at Rhostyllen near Wrexham.

The pit was connected underground to the neighbouring Hafod Colliery. [closed 1968]
In 1880 an explosion killed 8 men with a ninth dying of his injuries later. A fire in 1933 destroyed the wooden headgear and this was replaced with a steel headgear from the nearby Gatewen Colliery.
This headgear still stands today along with its winding engine house and electric winder.
Bersham closed in 1986 and was partially demolished.
However the pithead baths and a few other buildings survive and are now part of the Bersham Industrial estate. The headgear has recently been fully restored and painted.


The No. 2 pit winder house and headgear will now form a small mining museum. A Bersham Colliery Trust has been set up to achieve this goal with the help of the local council and the Shropshire Mines Trust. www.ap.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/smt.htm

Please visit the Bersham Trusts website on www.ap.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/bct.htm

Stuart Tomlins of the Shropshire Mines Trust says, "We are now working every weekend to get Bersham ready for the public open day on 16th & 17th of June 2001."
If you are interested in attending the Bersham open day, then please contact the Shropshire Mines Trust.
e-mail adrian.pearce@cableinet.co.uk

Images and text on this page were provided by Stuart Tomlins
Photographs Copyright Stuart Tomlins

 

 

Abertysswg - Bargoed - Bersham - Big Pit - Britannia - Celynen - Cwmtillery - Deep Navigation
Elliots - Ferndale - Groesfaen - Llanbradach - Mardy - Marine - Markham - Nantgarw - Navigation - Oakdale - Ogilvie - Old Pit - Penalta - Pochin - Point of Ayr - Rhymney Merthyr
Senghenydd
- Six Bells - Taff Merthyr - Tower - Wyllie