Miner's Advice Home Page!

Back to Mining 2000
Please Sign Our GuestbookOur View - Alternative NewsHatfield Main NUM Office and Advice CentreMiner's Advice Reviews



1897 - 1977

Work began on the first of Bargoed's three shafts in 1897 and four years later, in 1901, the mine produced it's first coal. The three shafts were named North, South and Brithdir.

At the peak of it's lifetime the colliery employed over two and a half thousand men and Bargoed was the largest colliery in the Rhymney Valley.
By the time the mine was closed in 1977 less than three hundred and sixty men were employed there.

The site of the former colliery has seen major land reclamation, in a scheme estimated to have cost over £8 million.




Abertysswg - Bargoed - Bersham - Big Pit - Britannia - Celynen - Cwmtillery - Deep Navigation
Elliots - Ferndale - Groesfaen - Llanbradach - Mardy - Marine - Markham - Nantgarw - Navigation - Oakdale - Ogilvie - Old Pit - Penalta - Pochin - Point of Ayr - Rhymney Merthyr
- Six Bells - Taff Merthyr - Tower - Wyllie